Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gocek to Twenty Two Fathom Cove

Saturday 08 June
We arrived in Gocek on Thursday afternoon having had good weather and a reasonable sea all the way and back into D-Marin again for the fourth time, principally to use the wonderful laundry there but we managed a couple of hours on the beach too.  We headed out towards Skopea Limani (Gocek bay) to Twenty Two Fathom Cove and attempted to pick up a buoy using our new 'hook and grab'' boat hook.  Unfortunately the boat hook was defective and although we did manage to pick up the buoy a lot of bad language came first.  Later we collected Geoff & Anne from Bula to eat in 'Amigos' the restaurant at the head of the bay.  'Restaurant' is a word that does nothing to describe where we ate. But the food was delicious, especially the wild boar, which we were told afterwards was probably mixed with a little goat.  The business is run by a family, Dad is the main man/;chef and his wife and two daughters prepare everything else. The son drives around during the day in a pink speed boat selling bread and also cake, baclava, tomatoes, olive oil etc.  I particularly like the son as he chats me up every morning and I get an occasional gift of a large tomato, for example.  
Amigos restaurant - Twenty two fathom cove

I am slightly concerned that Greta has a requested a map - but of the restaurants we have been too rather than the area! But below is a map of the area:


Sunday 09 June
Missed the bread boat so went ashore in the dinghy and Dad provided us with fresh bread straight from the oven.  I am thinking of sending the picture of the bread oven to AGA to see whether they can make some improvements on their design. Dad is hilarious and made me laugh asking me whether my husband was angry with him. I didn't like to tell him my husband is more worried about his son chatting me up.


The Captain, Amigos and the Bread Oven
Monday 10 June
A trip back to Gocek to take back the dodgy boat hook.  We anchored in the bay this time and the Captain went ashore in the dinghy while I made sure the anchor didn't drag.  Quite what I was going to do if it did was a bit of a mystery but I was given a lesson before he left in how to start the engines and was instructed to let out more anchor chain. Fortunately it did't, unfortunately all the boat hooks in the shop were dodgy and we will have to make do with the one we have.  We motored back to a different bay. Sarsala Bay, for the rest of the day and night and I managed to use said dodgy boat hook and nab the mooring buoy first time.  Nothing, however, is that simple.  I was then sent ashore in the dinghy, bearing in mind this has only one rowlock and is NOT rowable, using the outboard engine which I am ashamed to admit I have probably never used before, after very quick instructions from the Captain, to put the shore line on a bollard amongst the rocks.  No problem getting there and the line on the bollard but then the engine cut out and I couldn't start it - and neither could I row back to Sequel which seemed like miles away.  The Captain couldn't help either other than deserting the ship and swimming, which is not one of his many skills.  After a little while a wonderfully kind gentlemen from a nearby yacht (not sure what nationality but excellent English) came to my rescue and towed me and the line back to Sequel.  I was very embarrassed and not very happy with the Captain.  All his fault for not making sure the dinghy was in order and not teaching me previously how to use an outbboard,  I have since had more lessons (?to the family - can you imagine?) and am writing an 'Idiot's guide to boating' for future reference. Later on, however, we were rewarded with the sight of a large turtle, very close to the surface of the water, swimming past the stern.

Tuesday 11 June
Had a message from Geoff & Anne that there were mooring buoys available back in Twenty Two Fathom Cove and we headed back before breakfast,  I had had a lovely swim yesterday evening but this morning the water in Sarsala Bay was looking very murky and we weren't entirely sure what it was so we returned and we have another evening meal planned at Amigos - baby goat casserole anyone?
Sequel in Twenty two fathom cove
Three dinghys going out to dinner at Amigos 

3 comments:

  1. If we are able to request pictures I would like to see all these turtles as we didn't get to see any of them so I'm not sure I believe you! I think you mean turtles not tortoises!? You seem to like doing laundry and Bruce still washing the salt off the boat... how is your floor washing addiction? Still can't believe Mattie & Hevs came out to surprise you, pretty sure our camping adventure was no where as luxurious although we did get to play on the beach. Can't wait to have you both home now lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me - of course I meant turtle - I have changed it in the text now. But no photos - they just stick their funny little heads up quickly for air and then disappear below the surface for a while and you just dont know where they are coming up again. The one in Sarsala Bay though was huge and we could see most of him but by the time I went for my camera he had gone again and we didnt seem him again. Apparently he lives in that Bay and a lot of people have seen him there.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the map now I can anticipate where we will be and what I can eat when(if) we join you next year!!!
    Problems with rowlocks and out boards sound very familiar from our boating days why is it always the girl that gets stranded!!
    Very envious about the sighting of the turtle.
    love
    Greta

    ReplyDelete